Wednesday, November 02, 2005

A Declaration

On my walk home from the gym tonight, I pleasantly bopped around to the beats in my iPod while embracing the soft cool winds of the early fall evening. I began walking in step to the rhythms and started to get into the lyrics that were surrounding me. I had done something out of the ordinary today; I had put my iPod on 'Random Shuffle'. I don't usually do this as I like to create my own playlists and set them to whatever activity it is that I would be implementing when listening (neurotic, I know).

As I moved along, trekking past green lights, walk signs and oncoming pedestrians, a lovely jazz melody filtered through my ears and down through my body. "Autumn in New York..." sang the infamous Ella in that crystal clear, devastatingly distinct voice of hers. "...Brings the promise of new lovvve. Autumn in New York....Is often mingled with painnn."

It was one year ago that I knew. Knew for real, and for good...that things were about to change. And change drastically. It was a year ago that I was so saddened by the thought of all these changes, that I had done everything within my power to keep these alterations in my life from occurring. But it was inevitable, and deep down I knw that. Today I understand these fated adjustments. But although I tell myself that they had to transpire, I still, in the back of my mind, in the corner of my heart, had hoped as these past months had gone by, that sooner or later a day would come where the familiarities of the past would somehow creep in...and would be embraced.

That is when it hit me. For the past year I have been spinning my wheels, stuck in a rut of confusion, wondering if the decision I had made, 'to let go', was correct. And although I knew in my gut it was, I was still holding on. Holding on to the possibility that maybe, just maybe....I was wrong. This is in my nature, to doubt myself and my abilities...A trait I loath and long to change.

It is as though this past year, with every baby step I would take forward, I would be illicitly peeking over my shoulder, cautious to plant a firm foot. If I ever dared to leap, it would be with eyes shut tight and a safety net in place beneath me, so there would be no danger of falling down.

It was then and there that I deemed my assertion. A declaration to myself... For myself. It was time to be set free from the past. No more meditations, reflections or speculations. I had analyzed my choices to dust; learned all I could learn. It was time for me to keep my eyes open forward and no more looking back... It was this day and onward. It's time for this, I thought to myself. I need to let go.

Sighting the walk sign on the corner ahead of me, I leapt with full force onto 3rd Avenue. Without so much as a glance behind to watch for a turning car, I skipped across. In the invigorating crisp breeze, I sang along to the words...

"Autumn in New York...brings the promise of new love..."

17 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

that was awesome-

and you're totally scarrying me!!!! i wrote about this SAME realization just TODAY!!!!! crazyyyy

11/2/05, 8:15 PM  
Blogger the Wootang said...

pack up! go to nz!

11/2/05, 8:51 PM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

great alanna. letting go is one of the hardest things we ever have to do, keeping an open mind towards the posibilities of the future is another. I feel you...great post girl.

11/3/05, 5:25 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

That was the best one yet. Loved it.

P.S.: Is "Marching Bands of Manhattan" on your Ipod?

11/3/05, 7:05 AM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

Ale: Thx- I know! Just read YOUR post! Same wavelength

B: Not so sure about NZ just yet, but in the right direction...

CS: Yes, keeping an open mind for future possibilities is my every intention..altho it is not always as easy as I think!

AJ: Um...You know it!?!

EJ: Thx for stopping by girl!

Thx for the thoughts all...
alannajoy

11/3/05, 9:47 AM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I love blogging, I just love blogging, when I see so many positive things happening with others, and reading other folks thoughts...

This was great Alanna. Change really is hard to do, isn't it? Yet when you do it, you wonder, why did I ever hesitate?

Great way you ended this post.

11/3/05, 10:31 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

i have to take some time to go back through your blog - and i will! - but just give me a little update. what did you "let go"? cuz i let go of something too and it haunts me... your post really touched me today.

11/3/05, 2:53 PM  
Blogger Marissa said...

congratulations on moving forward! after reading a lot of your posts, i've come to the conclusion that we're very similar. it was only one year ago that i, too, was having a hard time letting the past go and moving on. but, here i am today, fully ready to embrace my future and let the past stay where it belongs...behind me! here's to the prospect of new things!!! very awesome post!

11/3/05, 3:04 PM  
Blogger Jinsane said...

Great Post Girlie! It motivated me to continue my Blog O' Saga, sort out this mess, and move on. I've definitely been spinning wheels this year and it's time to floor it! Yee Haw!!

11/4/05, 6:19 AM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

GG: I heart bloggin' too dude...Thx for the love!

A-Girl: I find it hard to sometimes explain things in my life online for all to see, but I will say that I have recently made the decision to once and for all, let go of a love from my past and face the present...

Marissa: Yes, after reading a lot of your site, I too came to the conclusion that we are possibly facing similar experiences...Glad I'm not alone girl!

JJ: Happy to motivate, now time to kick it FULL THROTTLE babe!
alannajoy

11/4/05, 6:33 AM  
Blogger Ambrrrr said...

great post. Good luck on the new road.

11/4/05, 3:25 PM  
Blogger john boy said...

Well done. We can't live in the past or we'll miss today, and that is just no fun at all :)

11/5/05, 8:01 AM  
Blogger kris said...

My first time here and I leave inspired!

11/5/05, 3:35 PM  
Blogger Cream said...

hcThe excitement that accompanies change is sometimes even more worthwhile than the change itself!
It fires you up enough to alter your life without any upheaval!

11/5/05, 4:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

bridgette bardot said: never reheat yesterday's soup! ;)

11/5/05, 6:56 PM  
Blogger Aymster said...

Letting go is a scary concept, you need a LOT of courage to do that.

11/6/05, 8:04 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Hey - found you through JAG. I have to take some time to read through your posts - but I got as far as your top 100. Fun reading - you're a good storyteller.

Love "Autumn in New York", both the song - and the soundtrack. And the season - and the city. :)

11/9/05, 7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home