Thursday, October 20, 2005

Unexpected Mainstream Mirth

Around 4 today I got an email from a co-worker asking me what I was doing later that evening. Not much, seeing as though it was 'Step Challenge Wednesday' at Crunch. Then I got the offer. Would I want to take a chance and try to sneak into the Rob Thomas show tonight?

Um....HECK YES! I live for this kind of stuff nowadays... The sneaky, adrenaline pumping, 'your not supposed to do that', 'thats not how you play the game' kind of stuff. Mainly because my whole life up until recently, when I moved to Manhattan, I did play the game the way it was supposed to be played. I was that girl that always followed the rules. Not to mention the fact that I always seem to plan every minescule activity in my work week and weekends.

I shot D-Roomie an e-mail to see if she would be interested and also added... Who the heck was Rob Thomas? She laughed at me and said I totally knew who he was and probably heard tons of his songs. I thought long and hard and came up with: 'Oh...Wait, is he the dude from Machbox 20? That crap is sooooo mainstream!' She laughed again and told me to shut it, that she was in LOVE with him. Whatever, who am I to pass up free live music?

Hopping on the subway after work, we ventured back up to the theater, where we had been the other week. We were getting to be navigational pros. We met my co-worker Doni & his GF Lane, and then met a few of Lane's friends who were also ready to take on the sly operation. D-Roomie and I stood on the corner, waiting for Doni to wave us over. We slid through a side entrance at the front of the theater, two at a time as not to draw attention to our sizeable group. That was the hard part and it was over already. Once inside, Doni mumbled something to D-Roomie and up the stairs she fled, with me on her heal not asking a single question. The two of us went all the way to the top without speaking, the nose bleed section was to be our hide out. Once there, we cozied ourselves into a little nook in the side corner, making sure to be out of the way for people who actually had seats. Down we went, indian-style on the concrete. Our co-conspirators where staked out in other various areas of the spacious theater.

Robby Boy hit the stage singing his heart out and had a full back up band and tamborine singers (not to mention one hell of a tight pair of unflattering jeans. Sorry had to mention). Oh yeah... I know this one...and this one too! Floored by the fact that I was actually bopping along to some good beats, I shouted and sang to the familiar tunes. When it was all over with, D-Roomie and I leisurely made our way out the exit sign with the rest of the cattle herd and met up with our accomplices. We had done it, maneuevered our way right in and out with such simplicity.

What an unforseen, unpredictable evening. That's one thing I love about Manhattan. Anything is possible (cliche but true). Tomorrow I will be getting psyched up for the Death Cab For Cutie concert... The event I have tickets for, and have been planning to go to for months now.

Rock on...

12 Comments:

Blogger Harlyn said...

another lovely day in Manhattan. *sigh*

10/20/05, 7:05 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

Man, jealous about Death Cab. They are here next week, but I'll be back in Fla. for the weekend.

Funny Death Cab story circa Nov. 2004 here in Atlanta. Show had just ended. Me and my buddy were walking out after an encore of "The New Year" and "We Looked Like Giants" when this kid behind me said something about my North Face shirt. He said something like "sucks there's all these frat guys here." It made me angry, so I spun around and said "So, just because I was in a fraternity I can't listen to this music?" He mumbled something back.

Very Eddie Vedder of him. Argh. Take care.

10/20/05, 7:14 AM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

AJ- You may appreciate my (Deep) Plans post from a few weeks ago...Check it out if u get the chance!

How annoying is that reality: People can make such arbitrary and mindless judgements! I say screw 'em!
PS- I hope they play The New Year tonite!

10/20/05, 7:38 AM  
Blogger d-mac said...

Enjoyed your Plans review! Have you had a chance to listen to much of Transatlanticism? If not, you must! I have to say it's their strongest album, IMO, for many of the same reasons Plans is so effing great. The lyrics are brilliant, and the hooks will make you want to throw away the eject button on your CD player.

Also, if you haven't checked out Ben Gibbard's side-project The Postal Service, you're in for a treat. Combine Gibbard's wryly introspective lyrics with the tasty beats and synth-pop backing of Jimmy Tamborello, add a pinch of vocal harmony from Jenny Lewis of Rilo Kiley for good measure, and you have an almost perfect album (Give Up). One of my top ten (and AJ's too, I do believe).

Enjoy the show tonight! Listen up for my fave - Title and Registration.

The glove compartment
is inaccurately named
and everybody knows it...


D

10/20/05, 9:04 AM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

D- Title & Registration is MY all-time DC4C fave!

And Postal Service always seems to put me in this state of ease with their rythmic beats. THEY need to do a concert. Whoah, there is like WAY to much content to comment on here...

Transatlanticism I just recently discovered and my favorite song right now is Passenger Seat, makes you feel like you've had an awakening.

OK- I LOVE that you & AJ are into all this... I am sucker for dishing on tunes! Thx for the comments!
alannajoy

10/20/05, 9:54 AM  
Blogger Aymster said...

ooooo...you broke the rules. I'm telling on you. You BaD aSs Ny cHiCk! Sounds like a good time. How the heck did you not know who Rob Thomas was? Silly girl.

10/20/05, 9:54 AM  
Blogger d-mac said...

Passenger Seat... great tune. It's simple, yet poingant, and just elusive enough so that it probably takes on a different meaning depending on the listener.

To me, it's a perfect snapshot of someone appreciating the moment. Being, with someone, as opposed to being with someone (if that makes any sense). I always imagined it as a sneak preview of some future scene in my life, where I've found someone with whom I can completely be myself, without worrying about tomorrow or yesterday.

Whoops, didn't mean to get all emo-riffic on you there. Yah, and I'm with Aymster - how could you not know who Rob Thomas was?? Especially during the period of about three years where you couldn't turn on any electronic device without hearing him belt out that "just like the ocean, under the moon..." nonsense with Santana vomitting guitar solos all over it. I get angry at my feet when they tap along to that song.

D

10/20/05, 11:15 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

Check out my post about "Brothers On a Hotel Bed" (Song 10 from Plans) from last month. It was an emo moment that Ben Gibbard would have a hard time explaning...

Take care..

10/20/05, 11:17 AM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

There's a word I love, 'serendipity' ...chance, discovery...it's one of my favourite words, sudden, unplanned, encounters...something like that.

This: 'What an unforseen, unpredictable evening' reminded me of it.

10/20/05, 6:23 PM  
Blogger highcontrast said...

How fun!! Concerts that you've snuck into are 88X better than concerts you paid for, no?

Rob Thomas is hotttt. (That's right, hot with 4 t's.)

I just got into Postal Service - I'm probably a little late, but then again, so is the postal service. HAAAAAAAAAA. Okay, that was just as bad as just around the "conga"!

10/20/05, 10:21 PM  
Blogger highcontrast said...

okay, i need to add one more thing, my word verification for that last comment was "fuggly".

i kid you not.

10/20/05, 10:22 PM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

No F-ing way HC! Ew, is this thing trying to hint at something with my blog here? Waaaa.....

PS- I will agree that Rob Thomas is HOT but not HOTTTT. OK< But I will say that his buns looked MIGHTY FINE in those skin ass tight designer denims...

Pics to follow....
alannajoy

10/21/05, 6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home