Friday, October 28, 2005

Gray-Haired Geisha Girl

In my Manhattan door-man building, resides over a thousand New Yorkers. All from various walks of life, different career choices and a range of ages. I live quite close to a hospital, and so we tend to have a breed of doctors, nurses, and dentists as well as students studying nearby. All have one thing in common; they rent. No one is here to make a permanent nest. No one is long term. That said, there is one resident, who stands apart from the masses. One who I would never have expected to occupy these living quarters at her age and oddity. My roommates and I have dubbed her the Gray-Haired Geisha Girl.

I first spotted the tiny woman on my street corner coming home one evening as the sun was setting. She stood, hunched over in her plaid blazer and black pants, with her short gray hair combed neatly around her face. She wore white face powder on her aging wrinkled features, and crimson-red lipstick on her full lips. As the glowing man appeared on the traffic sign, she began to scurry quickly towards the building. Quiet tiny steps she took, as she made her way through the grand entrance and passed the doorman with a nod.

I thought it was peculiar to see a woman in this day and age wearing such vivid white face powder. It immediately made me think of the Japanese Geisha girls I learned about in my history classes at school. They used to wear make-up such as this to look attractive for their many men. It was all very interesting...But what the heck was one doing HERE... in NYC... in MY apartment complex?

I saw the Gray-Haired Geisha Girl for the second time at the pharmacy. I was there picking up a few items when I heard a little squeaky voice cry out to the cashier in a language I could not quite comprehend. I stood in awe as the miniature woman attempted to be understood in her foreign tongue. I wanted to help her, explain to the cashier what it was that she needed, but I obviously had NO clue what this seemingly crazy lady needed or desired. I decided to back off and walk down an isle to find hair products, when I felt a tap on the lower part of my back.

"Excuse...EXCUSE!" She said as she pushed passed me, clearly on a mission to have someone who worked there understand her. "Sure..." I said, as I moved sideways for her to pass. Down the isle she teetered until she disappeared around the corner. Wowza, I thought...What is this woman looking for that is causing such chaos?!

Upon dishing this amusing gossip to my roomies while lounging on the couch one evening, D shot up and exclaimed: "Oh my God, that is totally the same lady on my elevator every morning! Whenever I get in, she motions me over and grunts to tell me where to stand! Then starts petting me and looking me up and down!" We all collapsed in giggles as we heard this outrageous story being told of the morning elevator journey. But I will admit, a small part of me did not quite believe D-Roomie until today.

I finally had the determination to drag my sleepy bones out of bed early this A.M. to see the graceful Manhattan sunrise along the water. I have only seen it two other times here, and one was because I was coming home. I dressed quickly and exited the apartment. As the elevator doors opened, there she was staring at me.

"AY!" She yelled. (I'm assuming that means I'm allowed to get in?) She motioned for me stand next to her. I viligantly obliged. Out of the corner of my eye I saw her look up and down in my direction. (D-Roomie was right...She's giving me the once over!) Suddenly a hand came towards me and I froze. I had NO idea what this woman was about to do, but I had no mind to dare vex her. She began patting down my jacket, seeming to care how it fell on my frame. Then, with one quick swoop she reached up and untucked the hair that had snagged itself inside my scarf. Fast as a whip, it was set free and untangled. "Ahhhh" Gray-Haired Geisha Girl murmured. She began stroking my hair so that it lay straight down my back, all the strands in the same direction. I heard: "O-OK.." (Was I done? Did I...Pass?) Just as I was wondering what this woman could possibly do next to fix my apparently disheveled appearance, the elevator doors swung open to the ground floor. She looked up at me and smiled, "OK...Good-Bye" she sharply stated. And off she trotted out the entrance. I stood in disbelief for an instant, going over what had just happened.

Why had she told me where to stand in the elevator? Why had she petted and groomed me? I just didn't get it...Why was this little old woman such an enigma?

I wonder if any of us will ever know.

17 Comments:

Blogger d-mac said...

There's something about this post... I'm intrigued. I need to find out the rest of the story. I don't even care if you make it up. What's up with this so-called GHGG?? Inquiring minds want to know!

D

10/27/05, 9:23 PM  
Blogger the Wootang said...

black is the new pink

10/27/05, 10:24 PM  
Blogger Aymster said...

Awe, that little ol' geisha GAL (girls don't have gray hair!) was helping you out. I would love a free makeover. She probaby noticed how pretty you are and thought you shouldn't keep your golden locks tucked away. I think you need to bake her some cookies or something :)

10/27/05, 11:18 PM  
Blogger CandyGirl said...

Wow... she is strange isn't she? Hmm... wonder whats up with her. Next time... if you can, have a litttle conversation with her(if you can) and then you should tell us about it.

10/28/05, 12:42 AM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

D: I WISH I knew the answer..Stay tuned, piece by piece the puzzle shall be put together!

W71: Wha-What?

Aym: She really isn't a girl, she's an old woman, but the whole name just sorta fit so we went with it. A free make over eh? Maybe...but...WHY?!

Candy: Will do, altho I will admit, I'm still pretty timid with this woman. I usually drop her smiles when I see her.

Jags: U rock- Thx! Yeah, it is pretty hillarious, that's why I just HAD to write about it!

Layta kiddies-
alannajoy

10/28/05, 6:23 AM  
Blogger Jinsane said...

I feel like I'm always saying this...but I agree with Jags. You're narrative was very engaging. I was leaning all the way towards the monitor...on the edge of my seat...to see what was going to happen next. Can't wait for the next installment.

10/28/05, 7:32 AM  
Blogger mango said...

I wish I lived in NYC.

10/28/05, 7:35 AM  
Blogger d-mac said...

I feel a new reality television show coming on... Extreme Geisha Elevator Makeover!

10/28/05, 8:36 AM  
Blogger cityman05 said...

Sounds like maybe she has connected with your soul and knows you wonder about her. Maybe she looks at you as a mother would a daughter.
I think this is an awsome story.

10/28/05, 10:57 AM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

Awe Thx JJ! I love hearing stuff like that! Makes me want to continue to improve them writin' skillz!!

Mango: I'd LOVE to live in OZ! Lets swap!

D: LUV IT! I wish I had this lil' lady to fix me up every morning before I leave mi casa...Now if only she could hand out some make-up tips... =)
-a

10/28/05, 10:59 AM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Being a Guyanese [meaning...curious all the time] I'd talk to her and get her life story out of her in a jiffy :-D

10/28/05, 11:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hey have you read "memoires of a geisha?" well- maybe its that LADY! in the back of the book it does state that the charachter the book is based on actually LIVES in manhattan, (with that guy that she's always been with)

maybe that's her... !

10/28/05, 1:47 PM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

Ale: I REALLLLLLY want to read that book!! So many people have told me I'd luv it. After this experience, I will HAVE to check it out!

GG: Yeah, I need to speak up to this lady and learn her story...I'm a bit concerned however, that she will look at me with two heads and not understand a word I am saying!

CityMan: That sounds so lovely...Do u think it is possible for her to be able to read me that way? Know that I somehow have noticed her and think of her?

Thx for the comments y'all
-a

10/28/05, 2:07 PM  
Blogger Jenni Duggan and Stephen Hynes said...

That's a brill book I would recommend it. Really interesting. I'm intrigued about your Geisha lady. Keep us posted about her!

10/28/05, 10:32 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

But then, she might understand you, Alanna.

I know scores of Guyanese living in New York and they talk to strangers all the time, they say old folks are hungry for people to talk or even smile with them.

10/29/05, 4:20 AM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

weird and interesting...I wonder what she was up to.

10/30/05, 5:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So many characters in New York. Thank you for sharing your stories about this one.

11/3/05, 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home