Monday, October 17, 2005

Sunrises & Oranges



































































I finally got in this evening after a grueling red-eye flight and strugglesome half day of work, from a visit with Daddy-Doo and N down south. After a completely relaxing weekend yet crazy Monday, I am now sleepily envisioning curling up like a kitten in my satin and down blankets and calling it an early night. But an early night is something I am getting pretty familiar with lately...

In the land of 50+ Day-Dreamers it is easy to forget that a public place, such as a bar, could ever be open as late as, dare I say it...2am?! Mainly because at that hour of the night, you have been tucked away in your cozy air-conditioned bedroom for at least 4 hours, eagerly anticipating the next serene sunrise and warm cup of java you will soon be tasting while watching in wonder...(and in fond company might I add). The fear of turning in early and "missing something" does not exist in the slightest, and there is no pressure for deadlines or last minute to-do's.

It is not that activities and libations are rushed or overlooked here, it is just that they are approached and embraced much earlier in the day than someone of my (20-something) nature is used to. Yes- I caught myself at 2pm on Sunday, down by the pool with wine glass in hand; perfectly happy and content sipping away in the warm, sunny afternoon splendor. Mini rides on the golf cart (cup in hand)... Dinner to follow, where seafood abounded. And although nothing was rushed and a festive time was had by all, we were home, comfortable and content as the sun set.

I found it so easy to lose myself in the day, forgetting where I was or how long I'd been there (and this was NOT due to the wine, I swear!)... It was due to the utter beauty and simplicity of the world around me. With endless activities at your fingertips and such appealing scenery, it seemed effortless to get caught up in a moment and enjoy its every essence.

The greenery was a fascination in itself. Gardenias, forsythias and those vividly colored tropical flowers, seen on all Hawaiian shirts worn by Jimmy Buffet fans around the globe! And lets not forget about the Palms...I've attempted to chain myself to those intensely amazing trees more times than I'd like to recollect! And lastly, the fruit trees: Grapefruit...Oranges...All in nature's setting. Simply spectacular and always managing to taste so much sweeter than anything you could pick up at the farmer's market or Whole Foods.

Another interesting aspect of southern gulf living is its wildlife. I secretly think my Father likes to believe that they are the only house on the block, and the jungle is their backyard (if a jungle means a golf course anyway). I hear word of gators, bobcats, snakes, fire ants, dolphins, pelicans, manatees, box turtles and wild pigs...All I can say is thank goodness for those early morning lawn mowers and course manicurists to keep watch and scare these ferocious animals far from the view of civilians!

This past weekend may very well have been the shortest vay-cay I've ever taken, but finally being with my Dad & N in their tropical surroundings, gave me as much pleasure as a long jet-set out to Alanna Land... And that's a tough standard!

12 Comments:

Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Sure can't beat Mother Nature for providing the background to a beautiful holiday.

Just saw the pics, all of 'em. They're great.

I was going to say that Tyson Beckford looks like a Jamaican...and he sure is one. [I lived there for many, many years].

Yeah, no problem man, life can be sooo good sometimes.

10/18/05, 4:22 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

I think I can see why you say that fall is your favorite time of the year if you get to go places like that! The only green that I am seeing here is me from being envious.

I'm glad you enjoyed that break in paradise.

10/18/05, 6:02 AM  
Blogger Aymster said...

Great pics! The view from Alanna Land looks familiar...

10/18/05, 8:56 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hey girl! ha- so 8 days of rain snapped you? :)

pictures yey!

quick vacations are great too- even with the red eye- looks awesome-

10/18/05, 9:41 AM  
Blogger Aymster said...

Oh, you took the same shot when you were in Laguna visiting me! Tablerock baby!

10/18/05, 11:39 AM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

You got it sista...the view from Alanna Land indeed!

10/18/05, 11:55 AM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

beautiful pics! sometimes it's easy to forget there is life outside of Manhattan.

10/18/05, 5:20 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

You know I may get in trouble for noting this and I may get accused for being a typical guy for noticing, but I just realized that shadow across your legs isn't a shadow of a railing at all.

The question is do I get points for finally noticing, or lose points for finally noticing? Regardless, I wish I could be sitting on a boat in warm sunny weather right now. Seeing as it is 61*F right now.

10/19/05, 5:47 AM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

And u call yourself a SHY person Grant?? Puh-leaze!

10/19/05, 7:05 AM  
Blogger highcontrast said...

ugh. jealous. wine by a pool a 2PM is 1.2 trillion times more satisfying than a vodka tonic in a dark club at 2AM, no?

10/19/05, 8:43 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

*grin* You'd never know it unless you noticed how red-faced I became upon realizing what I was looking at. ;)

10/19/05, 6:07 PM  
Blogger Marissa said...

What a wonderful and relaxing vacation!! That's how I feel when I'm visiting my parents, too. In the winter they live in Arizona, and I lose myself in time and don't mind falling asleep at 9 p.m. either!

10/19/05, 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home