Friday, October 21, 2005

DC4C 4ME

OK so its late and I'm headed to sleep after an "emo-riffic"(thx AJ & D) and moving performace from Death Cab tonight!

When I first came home I was really pumped and almost felt compelled to hit the town with friends, but for some reason decided to bail and go solo. But I do feel like I have this amazing energy inside me at the moment! I need to DO something...or something... Every person who has talked to me since leaving the show has asked me what the deal was or if I have some secret to share...I guess the tone in my voice suggests that I have something inside wanting to come out.

I'm trying to get into sleep mode at the moment but its just not happening (actually maybe it was that Hershey's bar I just devoured thats keeping me awake? Nevermind that..)

They opened with...Say it with me people: Marching Bands of Manhattan... go figure! Then they hit The New Year and afterwards decided to listen up to the voices in MY head that wer chanting my all-timer, Title & Registration. The show was a mix of new and old and had a few songs that I had never really heard before.

I love when I go to a live performance and completely get lost in the night...lost in time. I feel so free and I want to say I zone out, but honestly, I actually think I zone in.

As I listened to one of the best performances of We Looked Like Giants, the beat and the sounds and everything working together, pulled me into this wildly romantic state. Gibbard sings about being young and in love, and doing it for the first time in the back of a grey sub compact...2 hot sweaty bodies fumbling around in this enclosed, uncomfortable space. Yet the mix of harsh and soft tones seemed to beg me to see the pure tenderness and allure in it all.

This reminded me of something A.Myn said to me the other day: "I am not at all a romantic...I look at things logically and disect the hell out of everything."

I understand disection, damn I think I over analyze myself into a frenzy at times, but not have romance?

That is a facet of my life that I cannot deprive myself of...


*Update*
Set List from Hammerstein Ballroom 10.20.05:
Marching Bands Of Manhattan
The New Year
Why You'd Want To Live Here
Title and Registration
Photobooth
Soul Meets Body
Summer Skin
For What Reason
Company Calls
Crooked Teeth
Different Names For The Same Thing
Amputations
Movie Script Ending
What Sarah Said
We Looked Like Giants
The Sound Of Settling

Encore:
I Will Follow You Into The Dark
Expo' 86
Prove My Hypothesis

13 Comments:

Blogger Harlyn said...

I'm sure the show was great, I love them! You have to have romance...I think everything can be made romantic...missing someone..thinking of meeting anyone...it's all romantic if you think about it. I think it's a lovely feeling to have.

10/21/05, 7:29 AM  
Blogger d-mac said...

I'll admit I didn't really love We Looked Like Giants until the first time I saw Death Cab in concert. This was one of those sleeper songs that took on a completely new meaning to me once I heard it live (or maybe it was the first time I really listened to it). If I remember that show correctly, they stretched out the drum/keyboard interlude part at the end of this song and Ben joined in with the band on a dual drum solo that rocked my face off. I've had a much greater appreciation for the song ever since. Now it reminds me of one of my college girlfriends I dated during a winter semester.

Sounds like a great show! I'm glad they played our fave, T&R. :)

Rock on,
Dave

10/21/05, 8:02 AM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

YES. This is how I feel about We Looked Like Giants...its the first time I really listened to the melody and appreciated it. Before that I always thought it was too hard for me or something..idk. Ben hopped on the drums with this one also, totally wailed...
D: I very much appreciate the way you write about musica and the emotion involved. You should start a blog about that..
CS: Romance is a necessity and you're right, anything can be made romantic, it's all in your mindset.
alannajoy

10/21/05, 8:20 AM  
Blogger mani said...

Hi Kristin, I am Maurizio, write from Italy, have seen yours blog as soon as modernized and try hour to write to you. I see NY yesterday hear! and excume for my language but I do not write very well in English. Bye

10/21/05, 8:48 AM  
Blogger mani said...

Hi Alannajoy, I am Maurizio, write from Italy, have seen yours blog as soon as modernized and try hour to write to you. Congratulations for yours blog, is very nice and excume for my language but I do not write very well in English. Bye

10/21/05, 9:02 AM  
Blogger Aymster said...

Excuse me Kristin (huh???) yo, why do you always hang up on me biotch! We had some good convo going on and then CLICK! If you don't want to talk to me, a simple "peace out" would do just fine. I know, I know...it's the cell.

I think you're romantic. You've romanced me a few times...eh, eh...wink, wink...just kidding. I agree with City Soul. Simple thoughts, sweet nothings, missing someone, excitement to see someone, a tender kiss, a touch on the face, a smile...I can keep going. Oh SO many things are romantic.

10/21/05, 9:17 AM  
Blogger d-mac said...

Awww... you rock for saying that. Sometimes I wonder if I'm making any sense or if I'm just rambling. I've thought about starting up such a blog a lot lately, but I've been wavering. All this recent chit-chat is inspiring me though so who knows, I may take the plunge soon enough. Karl Denson's Tiny Universe is playing here next weekend, so that might be a good jumping point.

I'm scared.

10/21/05, 9:52 AM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Ain't nothing like music! Would you belive, there's a country where music is banned, or so I've heard...I must check it out!!

10/21/05, 10:34 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

Alanna,

Glad to hear the show ruled your night. I love getting lost in the moment like you described.

I rocked some WE Looked Like Giants today on my way to an early morning meeting in Athens, Ga. That five minute span at the end makes me tingle all over.

Dave: YOU should never be scared, boyd. Ever. But you should be scared of me tomorrow in beer pong.

10/21/05, 11:28 AM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

Hahahaha- I remember thos Beer Pong'in dayz...Ahhh. I would improve my shot with every new beer guzzled...
Awwwwe yeahhh... However, my Manhattan existance has indeed required me to reclaim my "lady-like" tendencies, pushing the game to only a distant memory...sniffle*
alannajoy

10/21/05, 11:34 AM  
Blogger Ambrrrr said...

Glad you enjoyed the show, one day I hope to see the Hammerstein Ballroom and if I'm lucky I may get to see a show there. There are many places I've read about or heard about over the years that I want to see :)

10/21/05, 3:38 PM  
Blogger Aymster said...

P.S. Joyful - I love Hammerstein. I went to a Third Eye Blind there back in the day. Uh, I LUVED Steven Jenkins. He ROCKED! And with a top hat on too.

Remember when we saw them at Jones Beach? Oh, and DMB up in Mass on the hottest F-ING day ever and we were in that BIZZARE Denny's in a freak little town in the middle of nowhere. AHHHHHH...good times!

10/21/05, 4:13 PM  
Blogger the Wootang said...

go to google and type in dc4c. you're in the top 2 results!

11/12/05, 8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home