Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Singin' In The Rain?

On this utterly gloomy morning, I hit the snooze button twice before hurling myself out of bed at the blurry sight of my alarm clock. Luckily, the game of dress up in front of my unflattering mirror did not take hold of me, and I ran out the door with umbrella in hand in the hopes that I wouldn't necessarily have to open it, like the previous grey days we have been encountering here in Manhattan.

Complete wishful thinking.

I believe the phrase is torrential Downpour', which is a sufficient way of describing what was happening... Although I personally prefer:

'Who- The- Fuck- Would- Actually- Step- Foot- Outside- Their- Apt- In- This- Soggy- Mess- And- Believe- They- Wouldn't- Get- Creamed- By- Gazillion- Mile- An- Hr- Winds- And- Pelleting- Rain- Drops- Being- Shot- From- The- Gods- Above'?

Um, yeah. That might about sum it up. Oh, and I have the answer...ME.

Out I trenched into the boisterous inclement weather, thinking I could take refuge under my darling little daisy umbrella with pretty green leaves and bright yellow hues. I got as far as the corner before the damn thing flipped upwards sending me flying in all directions. It's days like this I wish I had memorized the bus schedule or could find an empty cab...But no such luck.

By the time I reached the subway I was entirely soaked from the waste down. My cute little sling-backs were acting like squeaky sponges under my toes and my bag which dipped concavely ever so slightly, made for a terrific bowl, capturing raindrops until it overflowed onto my hip... Sweet.

As the anger and disgust started to build up inside of me, I turned the corner to notice one of the cutest guys Manhattan has been hiding. He was geared up from head to toe with rainslicker and umbrella yet still managed to keep a bounce in his step. We exchanged quick glances and that is when it hit me... I was wearing an enormous, unappealing, unflattering FROWN! I gasped- Oh no, he thinks I'm pissed off! But I AM! But...WHY?! Ugh..., I thought to myself. Damn it, am I really that much of a New Yorker already? WHY am I letting a little bit of rain get to me?

Upon realization of my terrible mood, I vowed to turn the other cheek. I scurried into my office like a wet rat approaching shelter. Today is a good day, I decided. Rain brings just the right excuse for a brand new, DRY ensemble! And so, off I went to shop!

17 Comments:

Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I looove umbrellas, I would have a collection of all kinds if I lived abroad. I especially like the see- through, clear plastic one that comes down like a bubble. That would never do an arabesque on you :-)

Yeah, keep smiling, you never know when you'll bump into a cutie.

10/12/05, 6:16 PM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

Oh, Ive seen those before! They look fabu...does anyone know where I can purchase such a life saving apparatus?

10/12/05, 7:17 PM  
Blogger Hollie Nell said...

Everytime I read your blogs, I feel homesick for NY. The weather is always beautiful. Sometimes you just want a nice damn rain storm!

10/12/05, 10:50 PM  
Blogger Aymster said...

I LOVE your darling little daisy umbrella. That little baby came in handy when the drops were falling on us this summer, while we were hauling ass all over the city. Somehow we were both color coordinated to it; me in green and white, you in yellow. How cute were we? People probably thought we planned it. Wait, did we?

You know what would be awesome...if you got one of those muti-colored rain hats (or a clear plastic one, your choice)! You know, the one that is a full umbrella that comes down over your face with elastic for your head. Oh, I would make so much fun of you! I think if you were wearing one of those when you passed that hot guy, he would have stopped you and asked where you got that bad boy. hahahhaha!

10/13/05, 12:12 AM  
Blogger PackerPundit said...

haha... excellent post... I must be weird... I love gettin up early and I love rain LOL Im sucha dork

romey

10/13/05, 3:05 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

Sometimes, I think a woman can look quite attractive if she has that "I am pissed off at the world" look. Not that I'd go near someone with a ten foot pole if I didn't earn that look.

Is this what you're talking about:

Froogle

10/13/05, 5:51 AM  
Blogger Cheryl said...

That's a great way to look at it: excuse to shop!

I've heard it's pretty soggy out there. Hope it dries out soon.

10/13/05, 6:03 AM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

Grant your a gem...totally purchasing one of those puppies...the clear with the pink trip of course!
Thanks!

10/13/05, 6:22 AM  
Blogger highcontrast said...

noooooooo! don't do it!!! those umbrellas are for 67 y. o. woman living on the upper east side!!!
fashion over function!!!....i like the buy-new-outfit-on-rainy-day philosophy better...

10/13/05, 11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found those "london Fog" umbrellas are very usefull for rain and strong winds. Although they have the size of a beach umbrella and you bump into everything before you hit your ankles with it but it's really useful

10/13/05, 2:21 PM  
Blogger Aymster said...

check it...I have a picture up. WooHoo!

10/13/05, 4:16 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

What's this "rain" you speak of? It's sunny and warm here in Northern California (not a cloud in the sky).

Damn this sunny 75 degree weather!

I'm kidding... it's going to rain here... sometime... I think in January and February, maybe a few days in March but that's about it.

I wish I could enjoy "real weather" like you guys in the East You also get to wear those FABulous sweaters and jackets and we get nothing... literally. We walk around practically naked. (kidding. I'm kidding... sort of).

10/13/05, 8:27 PM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

CT has been raining all week also...can't say I miss having to walk everywhere in NY, especially when it's raining...but damn I miss that city.

10/14/05, 6:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

THATAGIRL!!

10/14/05, 9:22 AM  
Blogger Jenni Duggan and Stephen Hynes said...

I hate rain but I love shopping and its a good excuse for a new outfit!

10/14/05, 7:04 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Grant, you're great! Ooh, I like them, I like them.

10/15/05, 4:11 AM  
Blogger Marissa said...

I TOTALLY hear you! Enough of this rain already, right!? I like your outlook though...new outfit, here you come!

10/15/05, 8:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home