Monday, October 03, 2005

(Deep) Plans

So I'm obsessed with Death Cab's new album "Plans". It came out a few weeks ago and they will be in my neck of the woods soon on tour. I'm totally psyched to see them live again! The last time I saw them they were amazing and that was before I even knew less than a handful of their songs.

This band has really developed themselves into true artists in my book. What I'm finding so utterly fascinating and wondrous with their latest set is that it is extremely well themed. Now I'm not talking Maria's "The Emancipation of Mimi"-themed, or BEP's "Elephunk"/"Monkey Business"-themed....No, not even "A Rush of Blood to the Head" that Coldplay ever so gently unravels... Strangely enough, I am finding that the theme Death Cab For Cutie embraces with their latest music captures crucial elements in the softest and loudest entwining possible, and reveals these elements in such a way, that the artistic license of the musicians is a presence known and felt. Oh, annnnd it's deep stuff.

Dealing with the idea of living in the moment, to planning the future, to the realization that you are aging, and then finally, preparing for death. The band does a great job of setting you on a journey when you listen to the album, sort of like an emotional roller coaster to which they control the speed. Sending you from one thought and emotion to the next as the songs progress, until you are at the final song... The final destination.

Anyway it is interesting to me that they released these songs upon the onset of the autumn season. I find fall to be my favorite time of year, for comfortable weather conditions, but also because I find it to be the time of year when I'm both most at peace, and most contemplative. Having "Plans" shuffling around in my iPod as autumn appears, is offering me that same emotional contradiction. Making me both ravenous to hear another song or play on repeat, but also bringing me an aching feeling in my soul, stirring up conflict and thoughts about myself... My life... My future.

I guess what I am realizing is that on my own personal level, I am relating to most of these themes, and yearning to relate to the ones that I cannot yet fathom. But just as the autumn weather is suddenly upon us, so is this immense amount of energy from within my soul... Awaiting to burst, be extracted and set free. So I will listen... I will contemplate... I will enjoy my most comfortable season... and await for my eyes to open. Those are MY plans, at least.

--
I want to live where soul meets body - and let the sun wrap its arms around me - and bathe my skin in water cool and cleansing - and feel, feel what its like to be new - cause in my head there’s a greyhound station - where I send my thoughts to far off destinations - so they may have a chance of finding a place - where they're far more suited than here - I cannot guess what we'll discover - between the dirt with our palms cut like shovels - but I know our filthy hand can wash one another's - and not one speck will remain - I do believe it's true - that there are roads left in both of our shoes - and if the silence takes you - then I hope it takes me too - so brown eyes I hold you near - cause you're the only song I want to hear - a melody softly soaring through my atmosphere

where soul meets body

I do believe it'’s true - that there are roads left in both of our shoes - and if the silence takes you - then I hope it takes me too - so brown eyes I hold you near - cause you'’re the only song I want to hear - a melody softly soaring through my atmosphere

2 Comments:

Blogger Aymster said...

Very nice music review hun! I am not familiar with their music but I am going see what they are all about now!

10/3/05, 2:16 PM  
Blogger brandon said...

I love Death Cab for cutie, and LOVE their new album, almost as great as Transatlanticism, but not quite in my book.

11/9/05, 6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home