Sunday, April 02, 2006

I'm A Runner













This is the first time I am admitting it. Putting it on paper, and even allowing myself to agree. Sure I've ran for the past 9 years or so, but I was also always the slacker... The one you'd have to watch in cross country practice after school when the coach would send the team off in groups to hit the trails at a comfortable pace. There I'd be, hanging out with a few other motionless "joggers" behind the clearing in the woods, shooting the breeze and gulping up the last of my gaterade that I didn't necesarily need.

But after high school and college passed by and there were no more "practices" or loud-mouthed coaches to keep me moving, something interesting happened... I actually ran.

Okay, okay, so I'm not exactly fast. Infact, I always offer up the courtesy of explaining to my jogging parnter on any given day that I'm pretty damn slow. But I'm out there, moving, no one to motivate me but myself.

This past year something terrible happened-- I lost my motivation. For the past 3 or 4 months I've been immobile, inert, and allowing my white-girl booty to morph into something involving the term "ghetto"...

I'm not really sure why I stopped or what it was that blew out my flame, but for some reason I just couldn't prompt myself to get off the couch and take measures in the right direction.

New York City today was beautiful... 68 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. I put on my squeaky clean kicks and wrapped my iPod around my white hoodie clad arm. Out the door I went and after a quick stretch I (slowly) made my way up to Central Park.

It wasn't like it used to be... It was laborious on my hips, taxing on my ankles and a huge challenge for me not to walk. I got up to the reservoir and took some time to stretch out. I could already tell where I'd be sore later. I pushed myself on and completed the whole lap, continuing out and back towards mid-town in the direction I had come.

Today is day 1. I'm a beginner all over again... Let a new spring begin...

11 Comments:

Blogger Jinsane said...

Good for you!! Whatever the reasons are for you losing your motivation don't matter anymore. Focus on the fact that you had the self-determination to get up and start all over.

Keep it up!!!

4/3/06, 7:28 AM  
Blogger d-mac said...

Sounds like you're getting over that winter slump. That first time back shaking off the dust is always the toughest.

I feel your pain.

4/3/06, 7:40 AM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

it feels so good to get active again! don't be afraid to let yourself walk if you need to - your body is different every day. so if one day you can run 3 miles and the next day you just want to walk after the 1st mile, it's completely normal. just keep moving!

4/3/06, 10:40 AM  
Blogger Marissa said...

that's JUST like me too! i was the WORST runner in school - i despised it! and then, all of a sudden, i started doing it at the gym or in the park, and i became good at it! i'm not fast either - in fact, i my jog is some tall person's walk, but still! we should run in CP together sometime!

4/3/06, 4:12 PM  
Blogger the Wootang said...

stretch, banana! remember to stretch!

4/3/06, 4:43 PM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

Marissa lets go girl! I need myself a jogging partner! But like I said, I'm slowww as molases!

4/3/06, 8:11 PM  
Blogger john boy said...

Good luck and keep it moving :)

4/3/06, 10:14 PM  
Blogger Pause said...

Sounds painful, I'll stick with walking but I'm sure it will do wonders for the junk in the trunk.

4/6/06, 5:46 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

I believe in a balanced diet and rigorous exercise routine. I do crucnhes every morning. I can do almost a 1,000 now.

Now that Patrick Bateman has had his say...aren't you glad it's spring? It's sunny and warm in ATL. How's NYC?

4/6/06, 12:51 PM  
Blogger brandon said...

Nothing wrong with being slow! I am training for my second half marathon, and possibly doing the Chicago Marathon in September. It's all about just getting out there!

4/6/06, 7:47 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

I can comiserate with you, I broke out my bike recently, and I decided that I could ride as far as I used to before putting the bike away for the winter. After riding a mere 20 miles, I was popping ibuprofen like candy for the next two days.

Keep at it! I've been told that after the first week, the body adjusts.

4/7/06, 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home