Monday, March 27, 2006

The First Supper














When I arrived at the restaurant in my squeaky clean threads and was seated at the table that was to be mine for the duration of the trip, I was completely alone. The waiters asked me if I was indeed by myself and thought they were dilerious, making faces at me like I had 5 heads when I said yes. It was a little awkward but at the same time, I was sort of okay with it all.

No one else showed up at my table that night, nor the next. I began dining alone as there was no reason to wait. Ordered myself a hearty glass of red wine and went through the courses (6 by the way, thats the way it goes on a cruise ;)

Upon receiving the second course--beef consumme, an older woman, appearing in her mid 50's and extremely healthy looking, came over to my table. She asked if I was dining alone, and if so, if I'd like to join her table next to mine. I smiled and said yes, I would love to. And proceeded to take my wine and soup over to the nearby table. It was very nice of them, and something I now see that they would have done for anyone in my situation.

They were 3 woman from Colorado, a mother and her two daughters. One daughter had just graduated high school, and her step-sister was a junior at William & Mary. Two tan, stocky gentlemen were also at the table, and were partners from Miami. We all had a terrific meal together (I had the veal). A few awkward silences exchanged by people just getting to know each other but still, much less silence than what I would have experienced dining solo my first night on-board.

Throughout our conversation, I learned that Colorado, specifically Boulder, was an extremely health-conscious town and was actually not entirely freezing all 365 days of the year. The men from Miami had both lived in NY before and told me a few of their horror stories and fairytales working and living in Brooklyn.

After dinner I went straight back to my cabin. I was exhausted after such an emotional and eventful solo day.

6 Comments:

Blogger the Wootang said...

things always seem to work out, don't they. i mean, if you don't end up dead or something, they do. W&M? that's MY alma mater. not too proud of it, though

3/27/06, 7:18 PM  
Blogger d-mac said...

Hey A-Joy,

I haven't posted you a comment in a while but still keeping up with your latest adventures. I'm super jealous of you and your up-and-leaving-and-cruise-taking ways.

So, I finally got around to starting my own blog. You should totally check it out when you get a chance. It'll probably be mostly about music, as you might have already guessed. I'd love to hear what you think.

Stay "emo-riffic",
D-Mac

3/28/06, 5:40 AM  
Blogger Jinsane said...

Sounds like the beginning of a great trip! I hope it was. Glad you got back safe and sound!

3/28/06, 8:31 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

*grin* I figured you wouldn't have any shortage of invitations when you went on this solo cruise. Looks like that was the case.

I'm curious, do you now feel like doing something even more adventurous now that you went on this cruise on your own?

3/28/06, 8:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thats weird, dont they usually have seat assignments?

reminds me of going to lake como in italy by myself for the weekend (when i studied there) and having dinner at this place and the waiters felt bed and joined me... we had a liter of wine... they said they saved me because drinking alone would not have been healthy...

yey! more stories!! tell tell

3/28/06, 8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You went on a cruise by yourself??

YOU ARE MY HERO!!

Oh, much better, cute guys jus for you with no time to share :D yay!

3/30/06, 9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home