Friday, February 10, 2006

Counting To 100...












Posted ages ago, I'm reviving (& updating) the top 100 thangs about Moi...

1. I used to be a natural blonde...Now I'm just a bottle blonde!

2. When I was younger I hated my name, now I love it.

3. I was named after an Irish Steaksauce bottle.

4. Alanna means "Precious little one" in Gailic.

5. I can eat like a bitch! Seriously...I out eat my Brother and all X-Boyfriends! Take me to a buffet and prepare to be amazed...

6. I like imported beer. My favorite so far is Leffe.

7. I wish I had a bigger rack and skinny-minny arms.

8. I'm a brown eyed girl.

9. A lot of my life I have been afraid that people are always judging me. Sometimes that makes me feel small and claustrophobic.

10. I have trichotillomania! (twirl my hair)

11. I love the way bracelets and watches look on thin wrists.

12. I have a purse fetish! (however I am NOT a shoe gal)

13. My parents were divorced when I was younger...I still can't remember how old I was when it happened, but do remember the day my Dad left our house.

14. I have a huge soft spot for my Brother, I love him. (even tho we used to beat the crap out of each other when we were small!)

15. I still have no idea what I want to do "when I grow up". But maybe these days I'm starting to get a bit of direction...

16. I'm with A.Star on wanting to get back into painting mode. I havent done it in ages but I am good.

17. I have a life long tug of war going on between loving logical mathmatics and numbers, and being a creative soul. I have yet to find my niche.

18. I consider myself shy at times.

19. I will NEVER be able to do the e-dating thing!

20. I don't get politics (but I try).

21. I wish I was a child of the 60's & 70's, when kids actually gave a shit about war and country.

22. I love my Daddy!

23. My Mom is my friend (even though she is CRAZY!).

24. I am all about my family (even though they are ALL CRAZY).

25. I am a cat lover. But also want 2 dogs (tiny terrier and big golden retriever).

26. I am an extremely loyal and affectionate person.

27. I am smart, yet often say stupid, "blonde-moment" things so that girls & friends are not intimidated by me. (I also think it can be funny & clever)

28. I can be full of confidence one moment, even conceided at times, and the next, be timid and self conscious.

29. I love a good slice of New York pizza.

30. I will eat ALL the chocolate! No rationing!

31. I enjoy telling people what to do at work!

32. Although I love Manhattan, I KNOW that one day I will get settled outside of the city in a big country home. I am a country girl at heart (although WHAT will I do without the city?)

33. I believe that people always need to do what is best for themselves. And for that I would never deny anyone.

34. I think that I still have a LOT to learn.

35. I put people up on pedestals who have talents or skills that I lack. I need to remember that when it comes down to it, they are just people.

36. I don't have a ton of casual friends, but I do have a nice amount of very close ones.

37. I miss Sarah (with an H) with a passion. Sometimes I am angry at her for leaving me and journeying so far away to the other side of the world (NZ). That is when I have to remember #33.

38. I love hiking, running and exploring.

39. My favorite season is Autumn.

40. I love to reminisce about old times and how wonderful it used to feel to have crushes on people...I miss those butterfly days.

41. I enjoy being alone and having 'me' time.

42. I often feel I was placed on this earth soley to spread love and smiles.

43. I need a new cell phone realllly badly. Every time a friend calls or sees me they remind me of that fact. (update- I have a fabu new phone!)

44. Music rules my world. It helps to define my emotions and express myself. I wish I could have a soundtrack to my life playing in the background at all times.

45. I am not a picky eater...I will eat ANYTHING once (see #5).

46. Lately my drink of choice is a dirrrrty martini (extra olives please).

47. I was once thrown out of a club after been offered an application to work there...Apparently I couldn't drop it like its hot...enough...or something. Ok, actually I just pissed off the bouncer.

48. No tattoos and only ears pierced (two holes each), but sorta want a classy gold barbell belly ring (I know, I know...belly rings are sooo out).

49. Half the time I speak in my baby voice.

50. I make a mean crinkly face when I stare at my computer screen at work (or so I am told).

51. I am a day dreamer.

52. US WEEKLY is a guilty pleasure.

53. I would like to live everywhere once to get fresh perspectives. But I know that Manhattan/New York is my Home Sweet Home.

54. My favorite thing is to walk around by myself in the city on a crisp fall day. I love to people watch, sight see and explore.

55. I like the way the huge towering buildings of midtown make me feel. I get a sense of comfort by them for some reason.

56. I am an artist and love to paint, draw, and create. I also love to embroider things on clothing.

57. I love anything that is wildly romantic.

58. I LOVE Car Bombs!

59. I wish I could afford some good couture! Mama needs a new pair of Manolos!

60. I was captain of my dance team in college.

61. I am a night owl. NOT a morning person.

62. My favorite color is green because it belongs to nature.

63. I am always looking for ways to better myself.

64. I am not selfish, but I have a reallly hard time sharing my popcorn!

65. I am very skilled at not touching any germy surfaces when taking public transportation or using facilities.

66. There is something cozy about my large cinnamon coffee with milk and Splenda every morning.

67. Nothing beats a bonfire with all the makings for Smore's on a warm summer night in Shoreham. (A.Star and I always used to have the goods stashed in the trunk of our cars just in case!)

68. When I was young, people used to think that my Brother and I were twins. We both had these long blonde bowl cuts that would have made me look like a boy if it wasn't for those frilly dresses I sometimes sported.

69. I am a tom-boy at heart, I have no clue how to be sexy.

70. I am a Bay Girl. I grew up on the water, going out on my Father's boat. Sundays have been boat days decades before I was even born.

71. One of my favorite things to do on the water is night crabbing. You shine a flashlight into the water and up come the crabs, swimming to the surface.

72. One of my favorite early memories of Manhattan was when my Aunt took all 8 of my cousins and I on a field trip to the city, bringing us around to FAO Shwartz, Godiva (where we each picked out our favorite treat) and then brown bagged it for lunch, where each of us had our own phone booth to eat our sandwiches, on the ground floor of some huge corporate building!

73. When I was in high school I used to wear outfits that Alicia Silverstone wore in "Clueless". I had a teacher who would have me stand up and show off to the class each day...

74. I think that I was more productive in college than I am in my job now.

75. I wish that when I was younger someone had let me in on the way the world works...Connections, connections...

76. Sometimes I think life would be a lot easier if I didn't have such strong morals.

77. I'm a huge FLIRT.

78. I love sunsets.

79. I hate to admit it, but I'm a sucker for flowers (sunflowers & tiger lilies).

80. I can find art in everything.

81. I can't believe I'm writing this: I (one day) want kids.

82. I love to travel and have been to: Spain (exchange program), France, Scotland, England, Bahamas, U.S. Virgin Islands, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Quebec, Montreal, Nova Scotia, various states in U.S.

83. My Grandma is one of the most influential and important people in my life. I absolutely love her.

84. We cheezily sign off our phone conversations by saying: "Kiss, kiss kiss...1...2...3...BYE!!!" since I was a little girl.

85. I find family traditions and heirlooms to be extremely treasured.

86. I am fascinated with New York City achitecture & its history.

87. I have yet to experience any sort of "dark side" of NYC (knock on wood).

88. I think older woman are beautiful...I won't mind aging.

89. I must be fabulously drunk for karaoke.

90. I hate Long Island accents.

91. I am extremely non committal in almost every aspect of my life.

92. My proudest moment to date is when I graduated with 2 Bachelor's degrees in 4 and a half years.

93. My biggest fear is death.

94. I often try to read into my dreams and find meaning.

95. I love ouija boards.

96. My first boyfriend in high school is gay. People make fun of me and say I turned him...I like to think I turned him straight for a short time.

97. I have been in love once.

98. I make the best creme brulee.

99. While other little girls dressed up as princesses and cowgirls for Halloween, I was Yoda.

100. I am an eternal optimist.

40 Comments:

Blogger Grant said...

Tricho-wha? I had to look it up. For those who have no idea (like me), it is the urge to pull out your hair. Ouch. Does doing this make you go bald? (That's assuming the bleach doesn't do that first.)

I think you may make all your female friends green with envy to be able to eat like you do. Speaking of green, did you also talk like Yoda, too?

10/23/05, 6:39 PM  
Blogger cityman05 said...

Yoda, huh? That is too funny.
You sound like a very cool person. I'm the same way about having a lot of casual friends. I don't let too many people get close to me. I do have a few that I've connected with recently. I think it is more of a destiny thing.
I think we would be good friends. My son is a boyscout and I could give you all the boyscout popcorn you could eat. LOL. You wouldn't even have to share.

Awsome post. I'm glad you did it.

10/23/05, 6:55 PM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

Grant...Good on u for looking up my obsessive compulsive disorder! Its actually hair twirling for me that has become the aweful habit! Ever since I was small, whenever I was sleepy you could tell b/c I'd be twirling away...LOL Luckily I have a my friends who yell at me now when they see me start, so they are helping me to kick this annoying and potentially damaging inclination!

10/23/05, 7:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

fist of all i didn't realize alanna was your real name- let me say- its a GREAT name - its what my family in israel calls me-

oh and about the painting thing-- i stopped drawing for like YEARS and just recently started up- do it! it'll be great- you'll see you havn't lost any instinct!

10/23/05, 7:46 PM  
Blogger Aymster said...

10) what the heck is that?
11) I have thin wrists and they always fall off. I can only wear my watch
I hate trying on shoes, such a pain in the ass!
15) me neither
16) I am still waiting for the beautiful masterpiece I've requested eons ago
23) I LOVE your mom
29) That sounds SO good right now
40) I wish I could still get those butterflies. Oh there were the best
47) LUV it, R.W. baby
54) I like that too
65) ewwww, you HAVE to be
68) hahahahaha
73) YES you did
84) I luv it
90) Thank god we don't have them!

Great list babe. I LUV it!

10/23/05, 9:29 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

After reading you response about twirling your hair, I decided (because I can't resist learning about more useless trivia) to do a more detailed search and found this site:

http://www.cognitivebehavioralcenter.com/articles/hairpulling.html

According to the two Drs., hair twirling eventually leads to hair pulling. Then again, according to them, I suffer from OCPD. Hrmm. Hrmmmm.

10/24/05, 5:09 AM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

CityMan: Sounds like you've got the hook-ups for popcorn...BRING IT ON!

Ale: Thx for the name compliment, does ur family spell it the same as me?

Aym: I SWEAR I am getting to that masterpiece of a painting for you, it will be right in time for someone's Bday!

Grant: Yeah, that site is a little extreme I think, and not as accurate as others I have read. But the general gist is there...if I keep on twirlin, it will thin my hair and eventually lead to a bald spot- YIKES! I need to STOP THE INSANITY!!! LOL

Thx for the feedback all!
alannajoy

10/24/05, 6:43 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

Alannajoy

Thanks for the birthday shout. It was the perfect day to be alive.

My friend called me from D.C. last night. She was at the Death Cab show. They were playing "Tiny Vessels." Argh!

Your list, by the way, made my Monday a little easier.

Later on, APJ

10/24/05, 6:56 AM  
Blogger d-mac said...

List-tastic post, Alanna!

I'm totally with you on #17, but I truly feel that the two can fuel eachother and are often inseperable. My wish for you is that you may always find a balance. Ditto for #80. Have you, by any chance, ever read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance?

And amen on #44, of course. :)

Dave

PS: AJ is old now!!

10/24/05, 7:12 AM  
Blogger Jinsane said...

Lan: Great List. Hope you check mine out. We've got TONS in common. So many...in fact...that I had to make a list as I was reading yours...

10. I do it all the time. Especially when I'm worried or bored.

20. Yep....Me neither.

22. Daddy's Girl!!!

24. Family all the way.

27. I do that all the time. That's hilarious.

33. I agree...and it is very hard.

35. Excellent point. I do the same tihing.

36. Me too. True friends are really hard to find.

42. Definitely...I have this listed as well.

44. Ditto.

49 & 50. Same here.

52. Love it!!!

69. Yep.

99. That is too funny. I went as a hobo. Hilarious!

10/24/05, 7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you look deadly

10/24/05, 8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you look deadly

10/24/05, 8:13 AM  
Blogger john boy said...

First, I want to say I enjoyed reading your list and wish I had time to comment on all of the items in your list, but let's get real now :P

I do want to leave a little big-brotherly advice about #49 though, "Half the time I speak in my baby voice." Any man that likes his girlfriend to talk in a baby voice, is not the type of man that you want to attract.

Oh, yeah, Yoda, very hot. lol

10/24/05, 9:42 AM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

JB: ur hysterical! I'll make sure to make a mental note of this...You are right: I DO NOT want to end up with a guy that thinks a child's voice is EVER SEXY! LOL

10/24/05, 10:42 AM  
Blogger highcontrast said...

great list!
my first boyfriend was gay too, but then again, so am I!
haaaaaaaa.

10/24/05, 11:25 AM  
Blogger Ambrrrr said...

great list. for halloween one year my mom got all into the space theme and made us sophisticated space ladies, except EVERYONE thought we were hookers. It's funny now :)

10/24/05, 3:59 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

I can relate to many things on this list, the embroidery, crab catching, going on boats, being outdoors, finding art in everything...and waaahhhh...fear of death.

And oh...being an eternal optimist. Maybe we can find a way to long, long, lonnnnng life :-D

10/24/05, 4:19 PM  
Blogger Marissa said...

Alanna - I loved reading this and learning more about you. We have SO much in common, it's eery. I too believe I was put on this Earth to spread joy and smiles! I seriously do...I mean, what a random thing to have in common, right? And I also am NOT a selfish person, but would rather stick a pin in my eye before sharing my popcorn. And if it's chocolate, I will eat it...always! And I love roaming Manhattan by myself and people watching...there's something so peaceful about doing that. Anyway - I loved this!!!!

10/24/05, 7:39 PM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

Amber: That is hysterical! How old were u when u dressed up like hookers..er, space ladies?!

GG: I say if ur optimistic ur a shoe-in for a loooong satisfying life!

Marissa: Glad u enjoyed! I find we have much in common when reading ur posts 2!

Thx again all- alannajoy

10/24/05, 8:09 PM  
Blogger CandyGirl said...

Ok... just wanted to ad my 2 cents aswell...

I realy enjoyed reading your post. Hope to make my 100 list soon.

10/24/05, 10:42 PM  
Blogger AJ said...

Grr. I'm 27. Olde as poo.

Have a good day. It's cold here!

10/25/05, 5:34 AM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

Hey Girl! Glad to see you did a list also! I felt like I was reading all about me. Interesting stuff...I would comment on some of them, but since I'm here in GA visiting the Gparents, the computer is sooo damn slow. Have a great day;

10/25/05, 8:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

yeah they spell it alanna- (not alannajoy though) :)

10/25/05, 9:16 AM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

Ale that is so cool!! We have the same name, not too many spell it like that too!

CS: Thx for stopping by! Enjoy GA & ur fam!

AJ: 27 is soooo NOT old. Wait till the big 3-0! then start cryin!

Candygirl: Thx for checking it out! You should totally create a list, it is very interesting how many funny things u wind up realizing about urself!!

10/25/05, 9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Girl you're walking tall now with your fancy clothes
You got fancy things going up your nose
You get fancy gifts from expensive men
You're a dog on a leash like a pig in a pen
Mothership connection getting girl's affection
If your life needs correction don't follow my direction
You got your 8 by 10 your agent your Harley
You be driving around Hollywood yes sorry charlie
Cause I'm running things like some Mack motherfucker
Your only claim to fame is you're a false fake sucker
You slip you slack you clock me you lack
While I'm reading on the road by my man Jack Kerouac
My veins are like vines
Filled with red wine
Poetry in motion coconut lotion
I had to diss the girl because she got too emotional
Are you experienced little girl
I want to know what goes on in your little girl world
Give time for your mind it's hard to forget me
I'll take your pride for a ride if you let me
So peace out now, and keep peacing out
Full throttle to the bottle and full full clout
And I'm out

10/25/05, 12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damm, this is mad entertaining. Alana Banana, u are one cool gal. I'll be takin more trips to Alanna Land. Just gotta wait till them vacation days kick in.

10/25/05, 12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yoda, definitely you're a tom boy by heart. :)

I simply love those 100 things you love about you.

10/25/05, 2:10 PM  
Blogger Tim Hillegonds said...

Whoa! Crazy pictures, battle raps...what is this strange land of allannajoy...

10/25/05, 6:02 PM  
Blogger Aymster said...

I'm with Jags, you sound like a freaking terrorist girl! Add the words Irish and drinking, in there or something.

Oh, what happened to your profile? Why the heck is it at the bottom of the page. Your missing a link or something.

10/26/05, 3:40 PM  
Blogger Aymster said...

Sorry, I just realized my comment sounded a little mean :( sorry babe, didn't mean for it to come out that way if it did. I'll help you try to get your profile back up if you need it.

10/26/05, 4:32 PM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

OK OK...I'll explain!! Car Bombs...as in IRISH Car Bombs...You know, the shot of Bailey's & Vodka (and I think something else?) dropped full force into a nice pint of Guiness and then quickly chugged!
MMmmmMMmm...It's a tease just explaining the darn thing! YUM in my TUM!

Eggy: U cats is crazy!

N: Smooches atcha!

T: Thx for the quick vay-cay!

Jags: Thx for the stop! I'll be sure to check out yr stuff too.

Aym: Ur just lucky you can speak no words, yet I understand all that u say (Biotch!)

10/26/05, 5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a pretty gutsy thing to put yourself up like that in the public eye. Maybe we should all wear a top 100 list about ourselves. Might help us understand each other better. Then again, the mystery is fun too.

10/27/05, 8:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Alanna- i'm so glad you explained the car bomb thing... i forgot to ask actually in the initial comment.

love irish car-bombs too- you must like Baby Guinesses too then...!

yuuummm!

lets all go to ireland and frolick in the green lush hills ey!

10/27/05, 12:40 PM  
Blogger the Wootang said...

how did you put the textures in that photo? is it the film, the lightng, photoshop?

10/28/05, 7:42 AM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

Brenton: we did a whole photoshoot that day w/ lighting, backdrops, the works! Then i f-ed around w/ it in photoshop buddy!
-a

10/28/05, 3:02 PM  
Blogger Harlyn said...

I used to be a bartender...an Irish carbomb is:

a shot glass of jameson and baileys dropped into half a pint glass of guiness

and they are really good

10/30/05, 5:58 AM  
Blogger Chandra said...

I love your list...we have some things in common. #32--we can totally trade...I live in the country and would just love to live in the city. I love your blog too. You can check my blog out if you like...not much there though. Ciao!

11/8/05, 8:05 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

you have no idea how many of those things describe me to a T.

no wonder we found each other in blogland!

4/11/06, 4:08 PM  
Blogger john boy said...

Always worth a reread.

Thanks for the Leffe Blonde suggestion. I'll have to check that one out.

4/13/06, 1:14 PM  
Blogger d-mac said...

Alanna, where did you go????

4/21/06, 8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home