Monday, January 02, 2006

My New York Minute













It is January 2, and I find myself alone, walking down Park Avenue with my back to Grand Central Station. I wave good bye as the bus pulls away from the curb and turns out of view. Another one of my Dolls has left and the large, rowdy group we consisted of Friday has deminished to the last 4 of us.

After a New Year's Eve reunion that will keep us all on Cloud 9 for the next 12 months, we are content, satisfied and in desperate need of slumber. It is comforting to know that although we all lead our own seperate lives across rivers and oceans, we can make a small amount of time for our precious Dollhouse friends and show that we can pick right up where we left off, nothing much changed.

As I walk the avenue, counting down the numbers on the street signs, I feel the emptiness of the city around me. Only a few bodies scatter the streets; out of town-ers with their suitcases in toe, an early morning jogger with a screaming neon top brushes past, and barely a car in sight except for an empty taxi cab with the numbers lit on top.

I love this city. I love it with every ounce of my being... I will not leave it yet, despite thoughts of travel and adventure elsewhere. To live here is an adventure, and one that I am still in the midst of having. Living here is discovering myself, and that is the greatest adventure of all.

I turn left down a side street even though it's not mine. I walk past townhouses and iron gates still decorated from the holidays. I soak up a deep breathe of cool, brisk air and feel it inhabit my body before exhaling.

It is the anniversary of a decision. One that had changed my life drastically this past year. One that shook my world despite all efforts to tell myself that things in my twenty-something existance would go on just as before.

A few days ago, as I mulled over possible options for 2006, someone asked me:

What have I learned in that New York Minute?
Good freakin question.

I've learned that people are not always what they seem.

That, if not careful, I am not what I seem.

That luck is something not to be underestimated, yet not to be counted on.

That dreams stick with you no matter how far you may stray from your original objective.

That hope is something you need to hold inside you, no matter the outcome today brings.

And that only you can save yourself.

This year I will write down my goals and aspirations for my future 12 months. A table of time with tasks set before me. I walk into 2006 with higher standards for myself and a source of peace from within.

Happy New Year to you all...

11 Comments:

Blogger Marissa said...

Great post, Alanna! I know just what you mean about living in the city and loving it because it forces you to discover yourself. That's why I'm still here too; each day is an adventure and I learn something new about me all the time. Happy, happy New Year! May 2006 bring you health, happiness and love!!!!

1/2/06, 8:09 AM  
Blogger Grant said...

That's great news that you're staying, Alanna. It sounds like you had a fun new years weekend.

What do you mean that people aren't what they seem? Oh, yeah, I'm the one with the question mark for an image. It's supposed to mean that I am questing to find myself though.

I think it's a great idea to list your goals and aspirations and I look forward to seeing that list. I like the idea of having a list to check off goals achieved, but don't put a due date to it. It just complicates things.

Then again, I suppose the best due date is: Before I die.

1/2/06, 8:27 AM  
Blogger cityman05 said...

It sounds so wonderful. I really would like to go sometime.
I love the country where I live, but would so much like to go the to city.

Great post!

1/2/06, 5:50 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

As I read this post I felt goooood...a sense of upliftment, like I can just go out and achieve. Such positive vibes. I enjoyed your descriptions of New York as I've never been there. I hope life treats you well this year and all the years, Alanna.

1/3/06, 8:41 AM  
Blogger Neo said...

Alanna -Same to you! I prefer not writing it all down. (laugh) goals that is. It's far more fun to fly by seat of my pants. It's makes for intersting conversation. ;)

Peace,

- Neo

1/3/06, 12:53 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Happy New Year Alanna....enjoy living the minute! :)

Where are you from originally??

1/3/06, 5:09 PM  
Blogger alannajoy said...

Marissa: Happy New Yr to you! May 2006 bring you many more opportunities for self discovery in this fabulous city of ours!

Grant: Ur right about the due date... Don't want to beat myself to the punch. I think just having these ideas & goals in my head will allow things to unravel this year as fate will have it!

Jax: COME TO NYC!!!

Cityman: DITTO! VISIT US!!

GG: Thank you... May 2006 bring you much positive energy and love to your life!

Neo: Sounds like enjoy living life on the edge! Maybe that is something I need to try more often!

Rebecca: I'm originally from Long Island. Perfect distance from the family, altho I've been itching to travel lately!

Thx for the comments! Happy and healthy 2006!
alannajoy

1/3/06, 5:40 PM  
Blogger john boy said...

Lovely. Happy New Year!

1/4/06, 12:48 AM  
Blogger Jinsane said...

Lan: Great Post! It's really nice to soul search every once in a while. I hope you find the answers you're looking for and I hope you come closer to achieving your goals (and dreams)! XO

1/4/06, 12:41 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

i love reading your blog! we have such similar views and experiences. i felt so alive when i lived in the city. i can't wait to get back. i had moved to the city after a major life decision. it was my inspiration. now you are my connection to it!

1/5/06, 10:18 AM  
Blogger j said...

great blog,love the design! i can understand where you're coming from almost exactly.

by the way, i love your taste in movies!

1/19/06, 11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home