Thursday, November 10, 2005

Seasonal Cravings

What is it about the brisk breezes and early sunsets of this season that cause me to day dream?

Why do I long for an assuring and secure arm around my shoulders and a strong chest to nuzzle my soft rosy cheeks against?

When I walk these swarming city streets alone at dusk, my mind wanders... I am lost in thoughts of moments in my life to come. Where he is everything I can imagine, yet nothing I have ever dreamed. Where the smile on my face is candid, but only for him to perceive.

As I pull on my warm coat, fresh from the closet and take that first step into the stimulating morning sun, I wonder if today is the day. If our paths will cross, mistakenly... fatedly... preordained.

When I bundle a scarf around my neck and pull on my gloves in the village park, I envision a divine, all-encompassing portrait of my soul braided with his, impossible for either one of us to break away from the bonds of affection and understanding that grow and deepen between us. An image of the two of us, walking hand in hand, down these streets of Manhattan with fulfillment and exhilaration in our minds and bodies.

Sitting in the back of a heated taxi cab, I wonder if I will ever be in that place where it is perfectly effortless to escape the essence of time... Delightfully caressing the back of his neck while our lips press together, tongues mingling in elation and indulgence.

Oh what is it about the smoky autumn smell, the promise of warmth that comes with the holidays, and the view of winter right around the corner? What is it about this time that prevails on me to long for a love of my very own?

13 Comments:

Blogger Harlyn said...

and what a love story it is! I'm suprised you don't already have that special one Alanna...maybe today will be the day. ;)

11/11/05, 5:34 AM  
Blogger AJ said...

Ajoy,

Like whoa! That was some good stuff.

11/11/05, 7:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

next tuesday you will meet someone, it may be him


(i sometimes like to excersize in future telling)

11/11/05, 8:07 AM  
Blogger Neo said...

Alanna - Great story. Don't sweat it, when the right time comes, you'll find him.

Peace

11/11/05, 8:49 AM  
Blogger Jinsane said...

Great Post - as usual! You'll find him when you least expect it! Trust me. It may not be exactly what you imagine it will be, but you'll know it. Let's just hope he doesn't accost you on the street while you're carrying groceries. XOXO

11/11/05, 1:16 PM  
Blogger Marissa said...

You took the thoughts in my head and eloquently put them to writing. JUST how I feel. Why, oh why, do we have so many things in common?! I hope we both find him soon...

11/11/05, 1:55 PM  
Blogger Grant said...

So that's why you love autumn! The smell of wood smoke drifting in the cool, crisp air. For some reason, I don't think you long for another, rather you prefer the opportunity to sit before a roaring fire. :)

11/11/05, 5:10 PM  
Blogger neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Beautiful writing. Yet again.

A friend told me that you know you have the right guy when even going to the market is fun.

It's true. Just going for a walk is a little adventure with the right guy.

11/12/05, 8:19 AM  
Blogger Aymster said...

Awe...I'm gonna throw up. Just kidding. I like the sappiness.

Sorry about this weekend sweetie. Busy. Let's hang next week!

11/12/05, 4:55 PM  
Blogger the Wootang said...

you're doing ok, kiddo. how do i know? 'cause you're still laughing!

11/12/05, 8:40 PM  
Blogger Kiwi (no not the fruit!) said...

You have a sweet way of putting it. You just need to remember that it doesn't matter how long it is till he comes along or you meet, when you two are together this will all be a past memory! Hope he happens by and has the manners to carry those bags if your carrying any this time :)

11/13/05, 12:27 PM  
Blogger Elisabeth said...

this will be my first fall/winter without someone since i was 14 years old. loved your post cuz i know exactly how you feel!

11/15/05, 4:06 PM  
Blogger Aymster said...

Girl, did you forget?...you can have any man you want! When you find the one that's right for you, he will the luckiest man ever! And I will be a bridesmaid! YAY!

Are you going to be my dinner date tomorrow? Please say yes! I miss you girl :(

11/15/05, 4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home