Thursday, July 21, 2005

The Many Names In Alanna


What's in a name?

Letters meshing together to create sounds, which we then use to distinguish one blonde-haired, brown-eyed girl apart from the next?
(In my world anyway) Or is it so much more? After all, the saying does go that "A rose by any other name wouldn't smell as sweet..."

When I was younger I absolutely hated my name. I went through the 11-yr-old-girl phase where I would respond only to "Jessica" or "Elizabeth" because they were my favorite conjured up characters from Sweet Valley High books who also possessed the very same long blonde hair that I did... Only they had way cooler adventures in elementary school like stumbling into a haunted house on an eerie, dark night or having a first-class slumber party with a supermodel.

Another reason why I hated my name back then was because the kids at school thought that my last name rhymed exquisitely well with LOAFBREAD and would dance around chanting;

"ALANNA-LOAFBREAD! ALANNA-LOAFBREAD! What are you having with dinner tonight? Oh, my favorite, ALANNA-LOAFBREAD!!!"

This only lasted for a short time though, until one of my girlfriends leaked out that my name really came from an old brand of an Irish Steaksauce bottle and meant "Precious Little One" in gailic. You can just imagine the fun they had with that.

But as I grew older, things began to change. I began to identify with my name and realize that it was one of the things that made me unique. At summer gymnastics camp (which I attended every summer of my teenage years until finally I realized I should be working there and they should be paying ME for attending...instead of the other way around), my coaches and councelors came up with amusing nicknames as a way to reach out and connect with me. Only it was different than the way the kids at school used to tease me. I actually liked getting these names and felt special with them. I had my favorite councelor, Sean, calling me "The Very Rare & Special Blue-Toed Alanna". As if I were my own species and the only 14 yr old to ever paint her toes with a blue nail polish.

Thinking back as far as I can remember, I have had dubs, labels, and nicknames that combined, add up to form a hell of an interesting potpourri, and has, at some point or another, made me feel special. But what I've come to realize is that its not your name that labels you as unique...although I now love mine, its you. All along, its you, and the way in which you touch others and leave your mark on this world. That is where your name comes from and that is what makes you marvelous.

Alanna Banana :given to me by my Aunts (or should I say Uncles) and has stuck to present days. When I hear it spoken it takes me back to those Easter Sundays spend at my Grandma's house, with me frilled out and dolled up in my latest gauzy, bowy mess searching in the dirt for a precious colored egg.

Altuna Loafbread :given to my by my first and longest guy-friend's father who enjoyed teasing me since I was practically his 4th child and was over as much as I was at my own house up the block.

Two Body Puffs & A Loofa :dare I even try to elaborate on this name? No, I do not...let your imagination soar.

The Very Rare & Special Blue-Toed Alanna :given to me by my camp counselor, Sean, during the days of the Old (haunted) Windmill, The Chumpy Dance, Round-Off Back-Handsprings, and Strength night every night...but thats another entry. Oh, and of course, blue nail polish!

Alanna Steaksauce :given to me by my lovely peers of middle school, along with some classy friends who thought that being named after something you pour on meat was one of the coolest things that could happen to a person.

Lannie :given to me by my mother, and can only be said in a slightly high-pitched, sing-song voice.

Lan :what you call me if you know me.

Lans :what you call me if you really know me (given by a 4-Leaf Clover).

Alanna Balana :given to me while in college, by a handful of strapping fraternity brothers who thought they were the most cleverist of them all...They were.

Lanna Banna :given by one of my best friend's father. When I hear it, these words can only be spoken by 4 voices, and it takes me back to days when country living and family gatherings abounded and I felt at peace in a place I was lucky to call home.

Alada :given to me by none other than Daddy-Doo (and pussycats too)...thinking of the sound of my father's voice, I can only smile and begin to laugh, because I know that he is speaking with that same smile plastered on his own mischievious face.

Lawny :given to be by T 2 The Bizzone Playa!!!!

A-La :hooked up by M.Kel, my new gym buddy....time to ROCK IT GIRL!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yai what a variety of names you have there :)

7/22/05, 10:21 AM  
Blogger Aymster said...

Hey I've got another name for you...SeXy LaDy! Cause that's what you are. Oh and you forgot to add BIOTCH to your list. Just kidding babe! You know I luv u. Hugs and smooches!

8/5/05, 2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home